Scottish National Dictionary (1700–)
About this entry:
First published 1952 (SND Vol. III). Includes material from the 1976 supplement.
This entry has not been updated since then but may contain minor corrections and revisions.
CROODLE, v.2, n.2
1. v. Also found in Eng. dial. in senses (1) and (3) (E.D.D.).
(1) To coo (of a dove) (Bnff.2, Abd.9, Ags.17 1941; Per. 1915 Wilson L. Strathearn 241; Fif.10 1941).Abd. 1926 L. Coutts Lyrics, etc. 11:
Cushies croodle in the fir.Fif. 1864 W. D. Latto T. Bodkin i.:
A shaggy wood, wherein the cushat croodled through the lang simmer days.Ayr. 1913 J. Service Memorables 54:
The cushie-doo croodles in the gloamin' o' the wood.
Hence croodler, a dove.Abd. 1868 W. Shelley Wayside Flowers 81:
Welcome back, thou bonnie croodler, Nebbin' at my window pane!
†(2) To purr, as a cat.Rnf. 1815 R. Tannahill Poems 10:
An while Deborah mools some crumbs, Auld baudrons sits, an croodlin thrumbs.
(3) To hum or sing quietly.n.Sc. 1916 M. MacLean Songs Roving Celt 12:
And the present fades before me as there rises on my sight The burns that croodle sweetly and the skies that shine so bright.Abd. 1931 D. Campbell Uncle Andie 31:
It's musick tae hear ye croodle sae couthielike.Ayr. 1844 J. Stirrat Poems 19:
Croodling owre some favourite tune.
2. n. A cooing noise.Gsw. 1908 T. M'Ewan in Gsw. Ballad Club III. 2:
We'll listen to . . . The croodle o' the cushie, An' hummin' o' the bee.
3. Comb.: croodlin' doo, croodlen —, (1) a wood-pigeon (Bnff.2, Abd.2 1941); (2) fig. as a term of endearment (Bnff.2, Abd.9, Fif.10 1941).(1) Ags. 1932 A. Gray Arrows 64:
Twa fond croodlin' doos were sittin' On the bare branch o' a tree.(2) Sc. 1826 R. Chambers Pop. Rhymes 295:
Where hae ye been a' the day My little wee Croodlen Doo?Edb. 1866 J. Smith Poems 133:
Oh sleep, my puir wee croodlin' doo.
You may wish to vary the format shown below depending on the citation style used.
"Croodle v.2, n.2". Dictionary of the Scots Language. 2004. Scottish Language Dictionaries Ltd. Accessed 1 Dec 2023 <http://www.dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/croodle_v2_n2>